Monday, April 9, 2012

INTERVIEW: DAVID ROBERT MITCHELL ('11)

David Robert Mitchell's directorial feature debut THE MYTH OF THE AMERICAN SLEEPOVER premiered at the SXSW Film Festival and the Cannes Film Festival (Semaine de la Critique) in 2011. The film won the American indie newcomer prize at the 2010 Munich Film Festival, and tied for the Prix du Jury at the Deauville American Film Festival and was released theatrically by IFC Films. David attended the Colony in 2011 with fellow Colonists: Georgia Lin Sundling, Kaitlin McLaughlin, and Hossein Keshavarz.

Tell us a little about your professional self.
DAVID:
I wrote and directed a feature film called "The Myth of the American Sleepover". It played a bunch of festivals (including SXSW and Cannes) and got a small US release. I've written and continue to write a lot of scripts.

How did you come to be at the Colony?
D:
I was recommended to apply for the colony by the Sundance Institute. I submitted the first 2 parts of a film trilogy I'm working on. Luckily, someone over there liked what I was doing and asked me to participate.

Can you tell us about your writing process? Did it differ any at the Colony?
D:
Basically, my process involves an obscene amount of coffee and regular snacking. I force myself to sit in front of my laptop and hit buttons. Eventually I write things that I'm proud of. My experience at the colony was similar, except the surroundings were nicer than I'm used to. The other colonists, the mentors and advisors were super nice and helpful.

Alum '11

How was it living and working with the other Colonists? We're you guys form a community or did you just hate each other?
D:
We did form a community. I think we're all friends now. I'm proud to know them. I got some wonderful script advice and ideas from the other colonists. Oh and Hossein taught me how to pop popcorn and warm milk on the stove for my coffee. Invaluable information. Sincerely.

How were your Mentors at the Colony?
D:
Aside from being very cool and intelligent people, the advisors created a relaxed atmosphere - where we all felt excited to be writing.

What were you working on?
D:
I finished part 3 of my trilogy at the colony. I'm in the process of doing rewrites on them as a unified piece.

Anything life changing occur while on the island (Nantucket)?
D:
I ate the most delicious plate of pasta I've ever eaten in my whole life. Pumpkin ravioli. I still dream about it.

Do you have any advice for your fellow screenwriter?
D:
If I have any advice to offer, I'd recommend that people write scripts that matter to them. Filmmaking is such a long and moderately painful process. The only reason to do this is because you really really care about what you're making. That's my opinion anyway.

David is currently in pre-production for his follow-up feature ELLA WALKS THE BEACH, an original screenplay about a young woman who deals with her breakup by traveling along the dream-like California coast, engaging in little adventures and conversations with strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment