Monday, April 9, 2012

INTERVIEW: HOSSEIN KESHAVARZ ('11)

Hossein Keshavarz, while working in business for several years, frequently hid in the bathroom to write screenplays, leading him to decide to pursue a career in film and complete a MFA from Columbia University. DOG SWEAT, Hossein’s first feature fiction film was nominated for an Independent Spirit Award and released theatrically by IndiePix.

Can you tell us a little about your journey at the Colony?
H:
It really was the ideal experience. Because you are in a very scenic and quiet place where you can concentrate on your walk. I found myself being able to think very clearly going on long walks through the nature preserve.

But the thing that made the colony so special, is that you are there with five other writers who are very cool people. So you have the solitude of going out to a cabin in the woods, but then at night you get to hang out with people who become very good friends, and enjoy a gourmet dinner cooked by a chef. Can’t beat it!!

Can you tell us about your writing process?
H: 
My process actually changed at the Colony because normally I wake up late but it was so beautiful in Nantucket that I would wake up when the sun rises and walk around and think about the scenes and characters that I was writing. 

At home I usually go to cafĂ©’s to work in the morning and write at home in the afternoon, but it was such an enjoyable experience writing in my room looking out at the woods and pond, that I found I didn’t want to leave the house and its environs.

How was it living and working with the other Colonists?
H:
 I really felt that we formed a little family. I looked forward to dinner to catch up with the other colonists. The only tough thing about the colony is leaving at the end of the month, but happily, we have already made plans to hang out once we get settle back to our lives in NY and LA.

How were your Mentors at the Colony?
H:
 The advisors were very cool people. They were very down to earth and interesting in working with you as a peer.

Anything life changing occur while on the island (Nantucket)?
H:
 Besides eating gourmet food and living by a nature reserve, having the opportunity to really know and become friends with the other colonists?

Do you have any new insights for your fellow screenwriter?
H:
 I’m not sure I have any particular insights, but I can say what works for me and some of my friends who are screenwriters. That is don’t worry about your draft being good. Especially if it is a first draft. Just finish it. You will make it better as you do the next, and the next draft.

What was the best or lasting piece of advice you learned at the Colony?
H:
Use the force.

Hossein recently served as an associate producer for CIRCUMSTANCE, which won the audience award at Sundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment